The 108th New York Infantry served as members of Smyth’s Brigade in Hays’ Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: Sept. 4, 1888.
Location: Located on the east side of Hancock Avenue in Ziegler’s Grove. The monument indicates the position held by the regiment on July 2nd and 3rd, 1863, supporting Woodruff’s Battery.
Description: A trefoil-shaped granite monument carved on the front with a relief depicting a battlefield scene of a soldier lying in the foreground with a rifle in his hand and an artilleryman standing in the background aiming a cannon. Above the battlefield scene is a round bronze relief plaque depicting the state seal. Monument is a two-part rough cut granite stepped shaft with a cap that contains an oversized trefoil Second Corps symbol that has a medallion on the center top petal and set on a 9.6×6 foot base. Flanking markers are one foot square.