The New York Irish Brigade Regiments — 63rd, 69th and 88th Regiments — served as members of Kelly’s Irish Brigade in Caldwell’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The three New York regiments are honored by a monument, and the 63rd and 69th have stones denoting their service.
Dedicated: July 2, 1888.
Location: Located on Sickles Avenue east of the Loop.
Description: A polished granite shaft with inset bronze carved in the shape of a traditional Celtic Cross. At the top of the cross is the trefoil symbol of the 2nd Army Corps. Beneath it are five medallions with the numeric designation of the three New York regiments that made up the Irish Brigade, the New York State Seal, and the seal of Ireland. At the base lies a life-size Irish wolf hound in bronze, representing faith and devotion. The sculptor was William Rudolph O’Donovan; John H. Duncan designed the monument; and Maurice J. Powers was contractor. Monument is a 1.8×11.4 foot polished black granite Celtic Cross with a bronze ornament set on a 10.2×8 foot rough hewn base. It has bronze inscription tablets attached and a bronze likeness of a Irish wolfhound. Overall height is 19.6 foot.A bronze plaque on the right face of the base represents a section of an artillery battery in action and honors Captain James Rorty’s 14th New York Independent battery. The monument honors three New York regiments of the Irish Brigade, a unit organized by former Irish revolutionary Thomas Francis Meagher.