The 78th and 102nd New York Infantry Regiments served as members of Greene’s Brigade in Geary’s Division of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The two regiments are honored by a monument and a company marker.
Dedicated: July 2, 1888.
Location: Slocum Avenue, east side, north of Williams Avenue and Culp’s Hill. It indicates the position held by the 78th & 102nd New York Infantry on July 2, 1863 against a Confederate attack.
Description: Uniformed Union soldier kneels behind a makeshift stone and wood barricade in firing position. The work is installed on a horizontal pedestal and a rough-hewn, sectioned base. Bronze elements include a round State Seal on the left face, a star on the front, and a star and arched palm fronds on the rear. An interesting, but not quickly noticeable feature, of the monument is the lion’s head. In the middle of the wall, near the soldier’s left hand, if you stare long enough is the faint shaping of a lion’s head. A lower log symbolizes a lion’s paw. The lion was meant to represent the valor of the two regiments. Monument is a two-part tapered granite shaft topped with a kneeling rifleman and set on a 8.5×5.8 foot base. The lower part of the shaft is rough cut and the upper part is smooth finished with polished excised inscriptions on three sides with a bronze medallion on the fourth side, bronze leaves on one side, and a bronze star on the front and rear. Overall height is ten feet. Flanking markers are one foot square. The statue is a replacement; the original was smashed by vandals in 1987.