The 77th New York Infantry served as members of Neill’s Brigade in Howe’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated Oct. 16, 1889.
Location: Powers Hill, south slope, north of Granite Schoolhouse Lane. It indicates the position held by the 77th New York Infantry on July 3, 1863 when supporting artillery batteries on the hill.
Description: Sarcophagus monument with sloped cap stands on a two-coursed base. The Greek cross Corps insignia in on the front above the die. A round relief of the State Seal is affixed to the front, just above the base. It indicates the position held by the 77th New York Infantry on July 3, 1863 when supporting artillery batteries on the hill. Monument is a two-part stepped and tapered granite shaft topped by a hipped roof that has a corps symbol on the front and set on a 7.11×4.7 foot rough cut base with a tooled edge. The shaft is smooth cut with a bronze medallion on the front and polished sides with excised inscriptions. Overall height is 7.6 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square.