The 76th New York Infantry served as members of Cutler’s Brigade in Wadsworth’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and position stone.
Dedicated July 1, 1888.
Location: It is located on the north extreme of the east side of Reynolds Avenue at McPherson Ridge, near the intersection of Buford/Wadsworth Avenues. The monument indicates the position first held by the 76th New York Infantry at about 10:30 A.M. July 1, 1863. The unit was flanked and forced to retire, then later advanced and held the position until the general retreat of the 1st Corps.
Description: Vertical, rectangular marker with apexed cap, topped with a disk insignia bearing the number 76, stands on a rough-hewn base. There a round State Seal relief on the sloped plinth in the front. The monument is a smooth granite shaft with polished raised inscriptions and apex top with encircled number on a rough hewn base 6.9 foot square with an overall height of fourteen foot. The flanking markers have slanted tops and are one foot square.