The 73rd New York Infantry served in Brewster’s Excelsior Brigade in Humphreys Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument, a position stone, and on the brigade monument.
Dedicated: Installed Aug. 1897. Dedicated Sept. 6, 1897.
Location: East of Emmitsburg Road and north of Wheatfield Road. The monument marks the position reached by the 73rd New York, Second Fire Zouaves of Excelsior Brigade on the afternoon of July 2, 1863. The fireman and an infantryman are representative of the dual role held by many members of the regiment.
Description: A figure of a Civil War soldier holding his rifle stands beside a Fire Zouave holding a bugle. The figures are installed atop a square granite base. Monument is a seven foot granite shaft and bronze statues of a fireman and infantryman on a 8×7 foot rough hewn base. Bronze inscription tablets are located on all sides and a state seal is on the west side of the base. Overall height is 14 foot.