The 65th New York Infantry Regiment served as members of Shaler’s Brigade in Newton’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: June 13, 1889.
Location: West side of Slocum Avenue. It marks the position held by the 65th New York Infantry on the morning of July 3, 1863 in support of the 23rd Pennsylvania.
Description: Tapered, vertical monument has rough-hewn surfaces except for the apex and the faces on which inscriptions appear. A relief of the New York State Seal is affixed to the lower front, and the Corps Greek cross insignia appears on the upper portions of the front and back. Monument is a two-part granite shaft with rough cut and smooth cut faces topped with a pyramidal cap and set on a 6.6 foot square rough cut base with a tooled edge. The shaft has excised lettering, a bronze medallion, and a corps symbol. Overall height is 13.8 feet. Flanking marker is one foot square.