The 59th New York Infantry Regiment served as members of Hall’s Brigade in Gibbon’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Installed 1889. Dedicated July 8, 1889.
Location: Southwest of the Copse of Trees west of Hancock Avenue. It marks the position held by the 59th New York Infantry on July 2 and 3, 1863.
Description: Granite marker with pyramidal cap contains reliefs of a Coat of Arms tondo, trophy with cartridge box, crossed bayonets and a laurel branch. Monument is a stepped, tapered granite shaft with a pyramidal top that has a bronze medallion on the peak and set on a 7.2×5.6 foot, two part base. The shaft has excised detail and polished inscriptions. Overall height is 11.8 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square.