The 43rd New York Infantry served as members of Neill’s Brigade in Howe’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated Sept. 17, 1889.
Location: Neill Avenue, east of Baltimore Pike. It indicates the position held by the 43rd New York Infantry from July 3, 1863 until July 5, as a reserve unit.
Description: Rectangular monument has a sloped plinth, rough-hewn base and apexed cap. A round State Seal relief is affixed to the bottom front. Decorative bronze elements include the Corps insignia of the Greek cross on the sides and a cartridge box with laurel branches on the front part of the cap. Monument is a two-part granite shaft with a hipped cap containing a bronze trophy and set on a 9×6.3 foot rough cut base with a tooled edge and a chamfered top. The lower part of the shaft is smooth cut with a bronze medallion. The upper part of the shaft has a polished face with an excised inscription and bronze corps symbols. Overall height is 7.9 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square.