The 41st New York Infantry served as members of von Gilsa’s Brigade in Barlow’s Division of the Eleventh Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: July 3, 1893.
Location: Located near the south end of Wainwright Avenue. It indicates the position held by the 41st New York Infantry on July 2, 1863 between 5:00 to 6:00 A.M. as they sustained an attack on its line. They held this position through July 4, 1863.
Description: Vertical marker stands on a tiered, rough-hewn base. A relief consisting of three crossed flags and a State Seal are affixed to the front face. A crescent insignia of the 11th Corps appears on the reverse, at top. Monument is a smooth cut chamfered granite shaft with bronze bas-relief and crescent, and excised inscriptions on the east and west faces and set on a 6.10×5.4 foot, two-part rough hewn base. Sculptured by Casper Buberl. Flanking markers are 2×1 foot with the right possessing a slant face and the left with a flat top.