The 40th New York Infantry served as members of DeTrobriand’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and an engraved boulder.
Dedicated: July 2, 1888.
Location: Located in the Valley of Death west of Little Round Top and east of Houck’s Ridge, north of Warren Avenue. The monument marks the position of the 40th New York Infantry on July 2, 1863.
Description: Monument comprised of a granite soldier “hidden” behind rock, with the rifle in hand at his side. The soldier is dressed in uniform. The boulder against which he is propped is decorated with a bronze tondo New York state shield with a blind-folded figure of Justice with scales in one hand and sword in other upraised hand; and a female figure holding what appears to be a torch. Above the shield is an eagle. Interestingly, this monument is the only one on the battlefield built with the appropriations of two states; the monument was paid for by the $1500.00 granted by New York and the $500.00 granted by Massachusetts — reflecting the regiment’s multi-state origins. Overall height is 6.10 foot. The shaft has a bronze state seal on the north and bronze inscription tablets on the south and west. Flanking markers are one foot square.