The 39th New York Infantry served as members of Willards’ Brigade of Hays’ Division of the Second Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position marker.
Dedicated: July 1, 1888.
Location: East side of Hancock Avenue. The monument marks the position on the battle line held by the four companies of the 39th New York Infantry at Gettysburg on July 2 and 3, 1863.
Description: A rough granite shaft topped with a carved trefoil is adorned on the front with a bronze relief plaque depicting the state seal. The monument cost $1,500.00. Monument is a four-part granite shaft topped with a pyramid with trefoil and set on a three-part step base of which the bottom step is seven foot square. The second shaft part contains an excised inscription, a bronze medallion in the front and a bronze tablet on the reverse. Overall height is twenty feet. Flanking markers are one foot square.