The 15th New York Artillery Independent Battery served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by a monument and a position tablet.
Dedicated: July 2, 1888.
Location: Wheatfield Road west of the junction with Sickles Avenue. The monument marks the position of Hart’s New York Battery on the afternoon of July 2, 1863 when supporting Sickles’ Third Corps line.
Description: Sculpted relief of an artilleryman standing holding a rammer in front of a cannon wheel. A state seal tondo is behind him. The monument sits on a rough-hewn base. Monument is a sculpted granite relief of an artilleryman and cannon set on a 6.6×3.9 foot rough hewn base. The south side contains a bronze state seal while a bronze inscription tablet inset appears on the north face. Overall height is 7.6 foot. Flanking markers are one foot square with apex tops and inscriptions.