The 10th New York Infantry served as members of Smyth’s Brigade in Hays’ Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: Sept. 2, 1889.
Location: Located along the route of former Meade Avenue. It marks the position held by the 10th New York Infantry on July 3, 1863 when acting as provost guard for Alexander Hays’ Division.
Description: Monument consists of a tapered, tiered pedestal topped with a snare drum, knapsack and draped flag. Bronze elements include a trefoil on the front and reverse sides and a round tondo on the front. Monument that has two flanking markers. Monument is a three-part stepped granite shaft topped with a flag-draped drum and haversack and set on a 6.3 foot square stepped base. The second part of the shaft contains a bronze medallion above excised letters and the third section has excised polished letters on the face and bronze tablets on the sides. Flanking markers are one foot square.