The 10th New York Cavalry served as members of John Irvin Gregg’s Brigade in Gregg’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: Oct. 9, 1888.
Location: North side of Hanover Road, east of U.S. 15 interchange. The monument marks the location on Brinkerhoff’s Ridge where dismounted members of the 10th New York Cavalry fought the 2nd Virginia Infantry in the late afternoon of July 2, 1863, suffering nine casualties.
Description: A granite head of a horse atop a pedestal and rough-hewn base. The pedestal is smooth in the front, and rough-hewn on the remaining sides. Reliefs of the cavalry insignia are affixed the front of the base and on the upper rear of the pedestal. There is a relief of the New York State Seal on the upper front of the pedestal. This work stands in the yard of a private home. Monument is a two-part granite shaft of which the first part is rough cut with a bronze medallion obverse and the second part is rough cut with a smooth front face with an excised inscription and bronze medallion. A bronze horse’s head tops it. Base is 6×4.6 foot. The bronze work was designed and sculptured by Casper Buberl. A dry laid stone retaining facing was erected by the CCC in 1937 on the embankment below the monument after the highway was regraded by the state in the late 1930s.