The 9th New York Cavalry served as members of Devin’s Brigade in Buford’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated July 1, 1888.
Location: Buford Avenue, east side. It indicates the position held by dismounted troopers of the unit on the morning of July 1, 1863 against the advance of Heth’s Confederate division.
Description: Monument consists of square marker with an apexed cap on a rough-hewn base. The monument features a bronze relief entitled “Discovering the Enemy;” a relief of a full-length Cavalryman astride his horse. He holds his rifle in a combat-ready position in both hands. There is a relief of a New York State Seal below and a relief of the crossed-sword Cavalry Corps insignia on the cap. On the reverse there is an oval bust relief of an uniformed soldier affixed to the center. Above this is an inscription plaque. The Cavalry insignia appears on this side of the cap also. The flanking markers are one foot square.