The 5th New York Independent Artillery Battery served as part of the Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve in Taft’s Brigade. The battery is honored by a monument and two iron position tablets.
Dedicated: 1888 or 1889.
Location: East end of the National Cemetery. It indicates the position occupied by Taft’s 5th New York Battery from 5:00 P.M. on July 2, 1863.
Description: Marker on a tiered, rough-hewn base is topped with a scale model of a Parrot rifled cannon. A round State Seal relief is affixed to the front.