The 4th New York Cavalry served as members of Huey’s Brigade in Gregg’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: Sept. 2, 1889.
Location: Hummelbaugh Field, north of Pleasonton Avenue. The unit was not present on the battlefield, but was at Manchester, Maryland guarding Union supply trains.
Description: Vertical shaft with rough-hewn edges stands atop a tiered base. A New York State Seal is affixed to the upper portion of the shaft and a relief of a horse’s head is at the lower portion. A relief of the Cavalry Corps insignia is at the top of the shaft. Overall height is fourteen foot.