The 1st New York Artillery Battery L – Battery E attached – served as members of Wainwright’s Brigade in the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Location: East side of South Reynolds Avenue nearly opposite Reynolds Woods. Marks the position of Reynolds’ Battery L on July 1, 1863 before compelled to retire toward town.
Description: Round bas-relief of a wheeled cannon stands on a rectangular pedestal atop three-tiered, rough-hewn base. A round bronze relief of the New York State Seal is affixed to the center of the pedestal, on the front. Overall height is 11.8 foot. Flanking markers are flat topped, one foot square.