The 1st New York Artillery – Battery G served as members of Fitzhugh’s Brigade in the Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by a monument at Gettysburg and a position tablet.
Dedicated: July 3, 1893.
Location: Monument is located in the Peach Orchard facing Emmitsburg Road. The monument marks the position held by Battery G during the afternoon of July 2, 1863 when supporting the III Corps salient in the Peach Orchard.
Description: Granite shaft with bronze relief of crossed cannon and tondo seal, with apex cap topped by a polished granite sphere. Monument is a granite shaft with an apex cap that has a cornice and polished sphere and set on a 6.4 foot square rough hewn base. The shaft contains inscriptions, a relief, and a bronze state seal on the west side and a bronze inscription tablet on the east face. Overall height is 18.4 foot.