The 1st New York Artillery – Battery D served as members of Randolph’s Brigade in the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: July 2, 1888.
Location: Located in the Wheatfield near the west end between Sickles Avenue and Wheatfield Road. The monument marks the position of Battery D on July 2, 1863.
Description: Monument that has two flanking markers and two bronze twelve-pound Napoleon cannons. Granite monument topped by a polished granite sphere. On the front of the monument is a bronze relief of a carriage wheel, two half-cannon tubes, bails and rammers, and bronze corps badge. The monument has a tiered base. Overall height is eleven foot. The shaft has a bronze state seal, carriage wheel, two half-cannon tubes, balls, rammers, and corps badges on the south side.