The 1st New Jersey Cavalry served as members of John Irvin Gregg’s Brigade in Gregg’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: July 1, 1888.
Location: North side of Gregg Avenue at East Cavalry Field, near the Rummel Farm. It indicates the position of the 1st New Jersey Cavalry on July 3, 1863 when opposing Stuart’s Cavalry Division.
Description: Monument consists of a polished pedestal, a three-tiered base and an apexed cap. On the top are sculpted representations of Cavalry accouterments. There is a row of stars on each side, just below the cap. Monument is a multi-part stepped granite shaft of smooth cut and polished stone with a semi-pyramidal top and cavalry accouterments at the apex and set on a six foot square rough cut base with a tooled edge. The shaft has incised inscriptions on each face, banding at the top with four stars on the front and three stars on the other sides. Overall height is 13.5 feet.