The 1st New Jersey Brigade served as members of Torbert’s Brigade in Wright’s Division of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The brigade, consisting of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 15th regiments is honored by a monument. The 4th is also honored by a position marker.
Dedicated June 30, 1888.
Location: East side of North Sedgwick Avenue near the G. Weikert Farm. The monument marks the general position held by the Brigade on July 2 & 3, 1863.
Description: Round columnic sculpture with rough-hewn surfaces contains two relief plaques with portraits of General Philip Kearny and General Alfred T. A. Torbert. It was erected by the State of New Jersey and honors the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 15th Regiments. The Brigade actually purchased the entire Weikert Farm to preserve the position it held during the battle (this was, of course, later incorporated into the Park). Consisting of Gettysburg, Quincy, and Hallowell granite, it cost of $5,700.00. Seven feet in diameter, the tall column rises 40 feet.