The 12th New Jersey Infantry served as members of Smyth’s Brigade in Hays’ Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position marker at the Bliss Barn.
Dedicated: May 26, 1886. Relief plaque cast: 1892.
Location: West side of Hancock Avenue. The monument indicates the line of battle taken by the regiment on July 3, 1863.
Description: A granite shaft topped by a granite representation of a musket ball resting on three buckshots. A bronze relief plaque on the front of the monument depicts the soldiers of the 12th New Jersey engaged in battle at Bliss Farm. A trefoil symbol appears on each side of the shaft. The monument is one of twelve honoring New Jersey troops engaged in the Gettysburg Campaign and one of thirty-two with bronze reliefs. The bronze relief plaque was created by Beattie & Brooks, and was cast by the Henry Bonnard Bronze Company. M. Reilly carved the monument. Monument is a three-part polished granite shaft with a pyramidal cap containing a representation of a buck and ball and set on a 5.6 foot square rough cut base. The shaft has a bronze bas-relief obverse, and incised letters. Relief sculpted by Beattie and Brooks. Flanking markers are one foot square.