The 11th New Jersey Infantry Regiment served as members of Carr’s Brigade in Humphreys’ Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: June 20, 1888.
Location: East side of Emmitsburg Road south of the Klingel farm house and north of United States Avenue. The monument marks the position held by the 11th New Jersey on July 2, 1863.
Description: A huge book draped with a flag on which a soldier’s cap rests. The inscriptions are incised on the front and back cover of the book. Monument is an open granite book setting on end with its covers open and set on a rough hewn base. Book has inscriptions on the covers and a sculpted flag covers the top and reverse. Overall height is nine feet. Flanking markers are one foot square with apex tops.