The Mississippi State Monument.
Installed 1973. Dedicated Oct. 19, 1973.
Location: West Confederate Avenue and Wheatfield Avenue, near Pitzer Woods
Description: The Mississippi Monument cost $100,000.00 and was cast in Italy. Two soldiers of Barksdale’s Mississippi Brigade are represented during their charge over the Shefy and Trestle farms on July 2, 1863. one soldier lies wounded bearing a flag and leaning against a tree stump. A second soldier, swinging a musket over his shoulder and grasping the barrel end with both hands, steps over the fallen soldier. The monument has a total height of 16 feet. The base consists of Lac Dubonnet granite.