The 3rd Michigan Infantry Regiment served as members of De Trobriand’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: June 12, 1889.
Location: Located at the southeast corner of the Peach Orchard at Birney Avenue. It marks the position held by the 3rd Michigan Infantry on July 2, 1863, in the evening.
Description: Granite monument with relief of two soldiers on front. Both soldiers are dressed in uniform. One is kneeling, holding a rifle with both hands. The other stands behind him in a wooded scene. Above them, at the top of the monument, is a bronze Michigan shield. Monument is a granite shaft set on a rough hewn base. Inscription panels appear on the south and north sides of the base. The shaft contains a sculpted relief of two infantrymen in action on the south face and a bronze state seal shield attached to the top of the cap. Overall height is 11.10 foot. Flanking markers are apex topped with inscriptions on the faces, one foot square.