The 24th Michigan Infantry served as members of Meredith’s Iron Brigade in Wadsworth’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position marker.
Dedicated: June 12, 1889.
Location: Located on Meredith Avenue in Hebst Farm Woods (also known as Reynolds Woods). Erected by the State of Michigan, the monument marks one of the positions held by the 24th Michigan Infantry on July 1, 1863.
Description: Full-length figure of a uniformed Iron Brigade infantryman stands on a pedestal and tiered base. The figure wears a wide-brimmed hat and mustache. He holds his rifle diagonally by his proper left side. His proper right hand is at the top of the muzzle. Decorative bronze relief elements on the pedestal include the Michigan State Seal on the front and the Corps insignia on the right. There is a crossed flag and moon relief on the front.