The 33rd Massachusetts Infantry Regiment served as members of Smith’s Brigade in von Steinwher’s Division of the Eleventh Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Oct. 8, 1885.
Location: Junction of Slocum and Wainwright Avenues, west of Stevens Knoll Monument marks the position held by the 33rd Massachusetts Infantry on the evening of July 2, 1863, when the Confederate Brigades of Hoke and Hays assailed Cemetery Hill.
Description: Monument is a rough hewn granite shaft with a bronze tablet on the west side and incised inscriptions of “33″ on the north and south faces and set on a 6.4 foot wide rough hewn base. Flanking markers are 2.6×1.6 foot with two-way tops and excised letters with incised inscriptions.