The 16th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment served as members of Carr’s Brigade in Humphreys Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Installed Dec. 1885. Dedicated July 1, 1886.
Location: East side of Emmitsburg Road, north of Klingel Farm. It is surrounded on three sides with a War Department board fence. The monument indicates the position held by the regiment on July 2, 1863 prior to Humphreys retrograde movement.
Description: A square granite monument with a rounded top is adorned on each side with the Third Corps diamond symbol. Monument is a 3.7 foot square granite shaft with a dome cap that has chamfered edges and a four-sided diamond decoration and set on a 5.10 foot square smooth base. The shaft has a bronze inscription tablet on the west face. Overall height is ten feet. Flanking markers are 1.6×8 foot with gable tops and cut inscriptions on the faces.