The 9th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment served as members of Sweitzer’s Brigade in Barnes’ Division of the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: June 1885.
Location: North base of Big Round Top, on Sykes Avenue. The monument marks the location of the 9th Infantry regiment on the night of July 2, 1863 and on July 3, 1863.
Description: The monument consists of a granite monolith with cross-gable cap, topped by carved Maltese cross with state’s coat-of-arms in relief. Base consists of a 3.8 foot boulder. Overall height is eleven foot. Inscriptions are cut into all faces. Flanking markers are double-slanted, 1.6×8 foot.