The 9th Massachusetts Artillery Battery served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The regiment is honored by a monument and two position markers.
Location: Wheatfield Avenue, north side, between the two Sickles Avenues. It indicates the first position held by the 9th Massachusetts Battery on July 2, 1863, before being forced to withdraw in the face of the assault by Barksdale’s Confederates. Marks position held by Bigelow’s Battery when they shelled Confederates at Rose Farm pm of July 2, 1863.
Description: The monument cost $1,000.00. Rough-hewn monolith contains various relief elements in a recessed area on the front and a long plaque with text describing the events of July 2, 1863 on the rear. Decorative elements include a palm frond and the State Seal. Monument is a 3.10×3.1 foot granite monolith with bronze inscription tablet on the north side and dedicatory inscriptions, and a relief and coat of arms on the south face. Overall height is 8.5 feet.