The 11th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment served as members of Carr’s Brigade in Humphreys’ Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated 1885. Relocated 1896.
Location: East side of Emmitsburg Road, north of Sickles Avenue intersection. The regiment supported the skirmish line to the west of this monument from 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. on July 2, 1863 and held this line against an attack from the Barksdale Mississippians.
Description: A granite shaft adorned on the front with a relief depicting crossed flags and the Third Corps diamond symbol. Originally, the monument was topped with a bronze sculpture of an arm holding a saber, but this piece is now missing. The shaft has cut inscriptions and reliefs of crossed flags and a Gothic arch on the west. Overall height of original monument with saber was fourteen feet. Flanking markers are 1.6×8 foot with gable tops and inscriptions.
Originally, this monument was installed at the intersection of Emmitsburg Road and Sickles Avenue, but was moved to the north side of Sickles when Sickles Avenue was constructed in 1896. The monument was desecrated and severely damaged on February 15, 2006. The monument was repaired in 2014.