The 2nd Massachusetts Infantry Regiment served as members of Colgrove’s Brigade in Williams’ Division of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Location: South side of Colgrove Avenue near Carman Avenue, on a native boulder near the Spangler Meadow. Monument is located near the site where the regiment, along with the 27th Indiana Infantry, launched an attack on the Confederates along Culp Ridge on the morning of July 3, 1863.
Description: Monument is a monolithic granite shaft of rough cut and tooled edges with a tapered toothed top, and set on a four foot square rough cut base with a tooled edge. It has inset bronze inscription tablets. Overall height is 3.9 feet. Flanking markers are 1.6x.8 foot. It was the first regimental monument erected on the Gettysburg battlefield. The veterans association purchased the land on the Spangler Farm and erected this memorial which contains the names of those killed at Gettysburg on the reverse side.