The 1st Massachusetts Infantry served as members of Carr’s Brigade in Humphreys’ Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position marker.
Installed June 30, 1886. Dedicated July 2, 1886.
Location: West side of Emmitsburg Road south of the junction with Sickles Avenue. The monument indicates the general position held by the 1st Massachusetts Infantry while supporting its skirmish line at about 6:30 P.M. on July 2, 1863.
Description: Atop a rough granite base is a large Third Corps diamond symbol carved with a relief depicting a soldier holding his rifle as he steps over a split-rail fence along Emmitsburg Road. Monument is a 7.10×2.1 foot granite shaft that is diamond shaped with a sculpted relief of an infantryman at a fence line along Emmitsburg Road and set on a 9.7×4.7 foot rough hewn base. Overall height is 13.3 feet. Monument includes commemorative era rail fencing.