The 20th Maine Infantry served as members of Vincent’s Brigade in Barnes’ Division of the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument, a secondary monument, and a position marker.
Location: Big Round Top.
Description: Second monument denotes July 3 position, dedicated October 3, 1889. Monument indicates the position held by the 20th Maine Infantry on the night of July 2, 1863 until relieved as part of the VI Corps on July 3. It also marks the advance position of the regiment during their counter charge against Law’s Alabamans on the evening of July 2. Monument is an apex topped granite shaft that rests on a five foot square, three-course rough hewn base. The shaft has an inscription cut into a smooth panel on the west face. Overall height is 8.1 feet. Flanking markers are 1×1.6 foot with a slant face and polished inscriptions.