The 6th Maine Battery (Dow’s Battery F) served as members of Taft’s Brigade in the Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: October 3, 1889.
Location: West side of South Hancock Avenue. Monument marks the position held by Dow’s Maine Battery on July 3, 1863 from the morning hours until 10:00 A. M. on July 5. They engaged in artillery duel preceding Longstreet’s Assault on the third day.
Description: Tapered square marker stands on a low, rough-hewn base. A pyramid of cannon balls tops the piece. Relief elements on the front face include a star, cannon barrel, rammer, drum and other military accouterments. Monument is a two-part tapered granite shaft with a top containing five stacked black polished cannon balls and set on a six foot square rough cut base with a tooled edge. The lower part of the shaft has a bas-relief front and the upper part has a bas-relief front, with incised inscriptions on four sides. Flanking markers are 1×1.6 foot.