The 5th Maine Battery (Steven’s Battery E) served as members of Wainwright’s Brigade in the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg and a secondary position stone.
Dedicated: October 3, 1889.
Location: Stevens Knoll, east of Cemetery Hill, near Slocum Monument. Monument marks the position held by Stevens’ Battery in Cemetery Hill, where it nearly destroyed the left flank of the Confederate attacking column on July 2, as Hoke’s and Hays’ brigades attempted to take the east of Cemetery Hill.
Description: Four-sided monument stands on a tiered base and is topped with a large sphere. A relief of three uniformed soldiers shooting a cannon appears on the upper portion of the base on the right side. Monument is a two-part shaft of Hallowell and Red Beach granite topped by a black granite ball and set on a 5.4 foot square base. The lower part of the shaft has a bas-relief on the west face and the upper part has incised inscriptions on all faces. Overall height is 12.8 feet.