The 3rd Maine Infantry served as members of Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument, a secondary monument, and a position stone.
Dedicated: October 3, 1889.
Location: Berdan Woods, Berdan (Sharpshooter) Avenue.
Description: Notes regiment’s position in the forenoon hours of July 2 in Pitzer Woods. This marker is shaped like a diamond, the corps symbol for the Union Third Corps. Position markers, 2’x2’x2′