The 1st Maine Cavalry served as members of John Irvin Gregg’s Brigade in Gregg’s Division of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Dedicated: October 3, 1889.
Location: North side of Hanover Road near junction to East Cavalry Field. Monument indicates the approximate position held briefly by the 1st Maine Cavalry on July 3, 1863 as it held the left of the line.
Description: Monument consists of a rough-hewn monolith and base with a full-length relief of a uniformed Cavalryman mounting his horse. Monument is a monolithic granite shaft with a polished lower part and a rough cut stone upper part that contains a sculptured granite cavalryman and a horse bas-relief on the front and set on a 7.6×3 foot rough cut base with chamfered smooth cut top. The shaft has an incised inscription below the bas-relief and an incised inscription on the rear. The base has an incised inscription. Overall height is 10 feet.