The 27th Indiana Infantry served as members of Colgrove’s Brigade in Williams’ Division of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and an advanced position marker.
Dedicated October 28, 1885.
Location: Spangler Meadow, north of Colgrove Avenue. This monument marks the ground over which the left wing of the 27th Indiana advanced in a charge made by the regiment of July 3d 1863.
Description: Monument is installed in the area of the 27th Indiana Infantry’s advance on the morning of July 3, 1863. The monument sits on a natural boulder. Located near the Indiana State Memorial. The bronze plaque at the rear of the monument was a later addition.