The 27th Indiana Infantry served as members of Colgrove’s Brigade in Williams’ Division of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and an advanced position marker.
Location: Field near the main monument in the Spangler Meadow off of East Confederate Avenue.
Description: Denotes the advanced position of the regiment. Inscription reads:
This marks the farthest point gained by the Regiment in its charge at 6 a.m. July 3d. 1863 on the works at the base of the hill behind this tablet. Four color bearers were killed and four were wounded.