The 7th Indiana Infantry served as members of Cutler’s Brigade in Wadsworth’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated Oct. 28, 1885.
Location: North Slocum Avenue, summit of Culp’s Hill, north of observation tower. Monument marks the position taken by the 7th Indiana Infantry on the evening of July 1, 1863. The position was held until July 5, excepting reconnaissance duty to Gettysburg.
Description: Four-sided shaft with a pyramidal cap and a small sphere at its point. Decorative elements include the Indiana State Seal, the Corps insignia, and three stacked muskets. Monument is a two-part shaft with a pyramid top and set on a four foot square base incised with the company name. The lower part of the shaft has a smooth face and polished excised “Indiana” and the upper part has a smooth granite face and polished inscriptions, state seal, and crossed rifles on all faces. The finial is missing. Overall height is eight feet.