The 14th Indiana Infantry served as members of Carroll’s Brigade in Hays’ Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and two position markers.
Dedicated Oct. 28, 1885.
Location: Baltimore Pike, east side, summit of East Cemetery Hill. Erected by the State of Indiana, the monument marks the position held by the regiment when they rushed to the hill on the evening of July 2, 1863, to meet and repulse Hay’s and Hoke’s brigades.
The work has been moved twice. It was originally located at the foot of East Cemetery Hill on Wainwright Avenue. It was moved to the summit of Ease Cemetery Hill, and later relocated to its current position because it obstructed the view of Cooper’s Pennsylvania Battery monument.
Description: Limestone monument is a tapered four-part limestone shaft with each part separated by a deep chisel cut, topped by the company logo and set on a 7.5 foot square rough cut base with tooled edge. The lower part of the shaft has the excised company name and incised inscriptions on the front and rear. Overall height is thirteen feet. Flanking markers are 1.3 foot square with a chamfered front. Located at the spot where color bearer Isaac Morris was killed.