The 27th Connecticut served as members of Brooke’s Brigade in Caldwell’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments at Gettysburg: one in the Wheatfield and a second on Brooke Avenue. In addition, two officers of the regiment are honored by markers noting the location where they fell: Colonel Henry Merwin and Captain Jed Chapman.
Installed 1885. Dedicated Oct. 22, 1885.
Location: East of center of the wheat field, south of Wheatfield Road. It marks the place where Col. Henry Merwin was killed while leading the regiment through the field towards Rose Grove.
Description: Four-sided shaft stands on a square pedestal on a tiered base. Relief elements include the Connecticut coat of arms, the insignia of the Union II Corps and a trefoil. An eagle with outstretched wings tops the monument. Monument is a 2.3 foot square granite obelisk topped with a bronze eagle and set on a six foot square triple layered base. Overall height is 20.9 foot. The obelisk has a raised cut trefoil insignia of the Second Corps on the north side and an inscription tablet on the south face. Flanking marker has a polished slant face, 1.6 foot square. It was placed by the Regimental Association and cost $950.00. It is one of four monuments to the 27th Connecticut at Gettysburg.