The 20th Connecticut served as members of McDougall’s Brigade in Williams’ Division of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Dedicated: July 3, 1885.
Location: South Slocum Avenue. Indicates position held morning July 2, 1863. Supported Union left; reoccupied this position the morning of July 3.
Description: Mausoleum-shaped monument cap is supported by four polished columns. It cost $1,500 and was built with granite from the Millstone Quarries. Monument is a two-part granite shaft with a Gothic cross gable set on a 7×4.6 foot base that is chamfered to the shaft. The lower part of the shaft contains excised polished letters on the front and rear. The upper part has inset polished panels with incised inscriptions and four offset polished columns with smooth cut bases and capitals. Overall height is 7.6 feet. It is Sarcophagus-style.