The 1st Delaware served as members of Smyth’s Brigade in Hays’ Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and an advance position marker.
Installed Dec. 1885. Dedicated June 10, 1886.
Location: North Hancock Avenue, south of Brian Barn, north of the Angle, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The monument indicates the position held by the regiment on July 2 & 3, 1863.
Description: Brandywine blue rock granite. A rough granite shaft adorned on each side with a trefoil symbol. Monument is a two-part granite shaft with a cross gable cap that has Flemish ends and set on a 3.6 foot square base. The shaft has combined rough cut, tooled edge, and polished surface with incised letters. Position marker is 2.6×9 foot and 1.05 foot high. The monument was sculpted by Thomas Davidson.