The 17th Connecticut served as members of Ames’ Brigade in Barlow’s Division of the Eleventh Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments at Gettysburg: one on East Howard Avenue at Barlow’s Knoll and a second on Wainwright Avenue at the base of East Cemetery Hill. In addition, the regiment is honored by a memorial flagpole.
Location: Wainwright Avenue, base of East Cemetery Hill. Located on the west side of Wainwright Avenue near the north end. 39° 49.356′ N, 77° 13.687′ W.
Description: A granite shaft bearing incised inscriptions and a relief of the state seal of Connecticut. The shaft rests atop a triple base. The State of Connecticut appropriated $500 towards its construction on March 16, 1887, and did so again on May 6, 1889. Monument is a 2.3 foot square smooth cut granite shaft with an excised state seal and incised inscriptions on the east and set on a 5.3 foot square three-part base. Overall height is 19.9 feet. The monument reportedly stands on the spot where Captain Burr captured the “la tiger color bearer.”